Tuesday 11 August 2015

My Life, A Year On


My Life A Year On



  I have been in a very reflective mood this week, mostly because it is nearly time for me to go back to uni after taking a year out, but also because this year has gone by so quickly and I cannot believe it is nearly autumn time again. So much has changed in my life this past year for the better, so I have decided to have a look back and see how far I have come since the end of last summer. I hope this post demonstrates how quickly things can turn around in your life and that things can always get better.

 This time last year things were pretty rubbish, I was stuck in a bad relationship, feeling miserable and not at all prepared to head back into my second year of uni. My degree is something I have wanted to achieve for a long time, yet despite this I was unable to motivate myself to get back into study mode. Things only got worse as the year was drawing to an end, my grades weren't anywhere near as good as they needed to be and I was moody and beginning to withdraw from my social life. Work was my only salvation, as I enjoyed my time there and the people always cheered me up. 

  It was a night out with work friends that changed my entire perspective on life. I had been avoiding going out but on this occasion, I decided I was fed up and that I would get myself back out there. During that night out I realised that my 4 year relationship was over and that I needed to move on and sort myself out.  Although I put the break up off for a few weeks, I ended things just before Christmas and despite the bad timing, it felt as if a weight had been lifted. It wasn't as if all of my other problems just disappeared but this was the beginning of me sorting myself out and working on feeling like myself again.  

  January marked a fresh start for me as I headed off on my dream trip to New York with my Mum. This was something I had been dreaming of since I was a little girl watching Home Alone 2, so to finally experience it was life changing, especially with my Mum. NY was incredible and I ticked some major things of my dream list and most importantly I came home ready to change my life. Once I had settled back into life in Manchester and come down from my NY high, I decided that the best decision for me would be to postpone my studies and return in September when I had got my life in order. 


  When I left uni that February morning, I felt stressed, anxious and worried about whether I was making the right decision for myself and my future. However 6 months on, I can honestly say I made the right choice. The time out has allowed me to really take time to focus on myself and my relationships. This year saw me gain new friendships which have made me truly understand the meaning of honest, selfless and caring friendship and I would be lost without these girls in my life. Whilst new friendships have been formed, other negative ones with no positive influence in my life have been left behind, I feel like it is important to surround yourself with only positive people who
want the best from you.




 The most influential change in my life this year happened on the 21st February. I met Mike. We clicked instantly and I can honestly say this relationship is different any other that I've had in the past. He makes me so happy and I cant imagine my life without him. It is amazing how a person can change your life so quickly.




 Now as I find myself preparing for the start of my second year at uni again, I know that this time I am ready. I feel as though I can handle whatever the next 12 months of my life has to offer and I look forward to reflecting on my life again a year from now.

  The presence of people who care within my life has been extremely influential over these past 12 months and I know that they have contributed greatly to helping me get to where I am now; a place of happiness and content. However I know without taking the time out to work on myself and understand who I am and what I want none of this would be possible.




  So to end this post I will finish with a quote that I feel conveys the importance of reflection and self awareness perfectly. I hope this helps if you are feeling down or in anyway looking to change the direction of your life.


'The most important relationship you have in life, is the one you have with yourself.'
Diane Von Furstenberg



No comments:

Post a Comment